Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tiverton, R.I.

A good friend of ours recently introduced us to software designed to trace our family trees. In my research of the Fried/Cook family before this trip, I found out that a lot of my relatives (from my grandfather's side of the family) had connections to Tiverton, Rhode Island so, despite the continuing rain, we went there to see what we could find. Their local library was a great resource of information that I will use to help complete my family tree. We went to see the house that belonged to my 9th great-grandfather but it was no longer in existence. We then visited the local cemetery and saw the many grave markers of my family (one dating back to 1812) plus one for the last occupant of the now-missing house who passed away in 1998. We assume that the house was dismantled after her death (the foundation shows on Google Maps). All in all, a most informative day.

No comments: